In my former life as a Disorganized Social Media Junkie I always
felt like my days just weren't long enough to accomplish all that I
wanted to accomplish. The Truth was, that my days were the same length
as everyone else's.
But why was I stuck in a time warp wasting time, and not accomplishing my goals? The answer is CHOICE.
I made a choice everyday to just do whatever I could, no focus, no planning just hoping things would get done and all would be right with the world.
I knew what I had to do, but every time I started out I would always get distracted. I needed a fix or else my life would continue to be just one unfinished project after another with nothing to show for years of work.
I became somewhat of an authority on wasting time and creating excuses. I was not just an average time waster, I had made a career out it!
So I knew that I had an edge from the "this is what not to do!" side. All I needed was to flip my habits and do just the opposite.
Simple right?
I started thinking about what I could do to make my days more productive, and make what little time I had really count. So I developed a list. A starting place, after all life is a work in progress. So here are my suggestions.
#1-Make a list- OK, I know, that's what everyone says! The truth is, if you don't write it down, it won't be planted in your brain.
I make a list for the week then break it down into days, then hours. It keeps the wild animal in my brain from going everywhere, when all I really want to do is just accomplish ONE THING!
#2-Prioritize your list- blah, blah, No this is important too. You have to know "what are the most important tasks I want to accomplish today?" Number your items from one to ten, number one being the most important and so on. I also like to cross things off the list once they are completed. This gives me a tiny sense of accomplishment! (AKA SUCCESS!)
#3-Assign an amount of time to each task on the list, whether that is to complete the task, or just getting a little further on a larger project. Small blocks of time each day will break a big job into smaller bites. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
#4-Inform your partner or significant other that you are planning a new approach to time management, and ask for their patience and cooperation when you first get started.
Interruptions during this period of creating a new habit is the last thing you need. Tell them they will like the person you are becoming, better, more accomplished, and less chaotic!
#5-Redirect-Learn to stop yourself when you stray and ask yourself "Is this productive behavior?" Yes, I talk to myself all the time, and guess what it helps. Guess what else? Lots of people talk to themselves, so what? If it keeps you from wasting time on non productive behavior, it's worth it, let them talk.
#6-Don't Procrastinate- OK, anyone who knows me, knows me as the 'Queen of Procrastination', I could have a million and one excuses why it will wait until tomorrow.
Don't do this to yourself. It's your life, don't waste it with meaningless excuses (and activities) it will only make you feel guilty.
#7-Organize! Your work-space is your personal creative space. If it looks like a tornado hit it or it's so cluttered you can't find where you left off yesterday, then you need to take some time to clean your space.
It will save valuable time that you waste 'looking for something' often getting sidetracked and forgetting what the project was you're working on. File it, throw it away, or just don't print it!
#8-Interuptions- Phone, email, Facebook, Twitter; the other day I went to get a glass of water and found myself mopping the kitchen floor. Yes, it needed it, but was that an interruption, a distraction YES! Don't fall for that.
If it has to be done put it on another list.
#9-Delegate-If you can delegate an activity that you are doing, that is, it doesn't require your expertise, do it. Lets go back to me taking time to mop the kitchen floor. I love doing activities that distract me, and take my mind away from my work. That's the whole point! Would a large corporation have their CEO mopping or cleaning toilets? No, his value is in the specific skills that got him to the title of CEO! Ask yourself if someone else can do this, and am I comfortable letting them?
#10-Save time for yourself,and your family-because this after all, isn't that what it's all about? Ultimately, living a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life?
YES!
But why was I stuck in a time warp wasting time, and not accomplishing my goals? The answer is CHOICE.
I made a choice everyday to just do whatever I could, no focus, no planning just hoping things would get done and all would be right with the world.
I knew what I had to do, but every time I started out I would always get distracted. I needed a fix or else my life would continue to be just one unfinished project after another with nothing to show for years of work.
I became somewhat of an authority on wasting time and creating excuses. I was not just an average time waster, I had made a career out it!
So I knew that I had an edge from the "this is what not to do!" side. All I needed was to flip my habits and do just the opposite.
Simple right?
I started thinking about what I could do to make my days more productive, and make what little time I had really count. So I developed a list. A starting place, after all life is a work in progress. So here are my suggestions.
#1-Make a list- OK, I know, that's what everyone says! The truth is, if you don't write it down, it won't be planted in your brain.
I make a list for the week then break it down into days, then hours. It keeps the wild animal in my brain from going everywhere, when all I really want to do is just accomplish ONE THING!
#2-Prioritize your list- blah, blah, No this is important too. You have to know "what are the most important tasks I want to accomplish today?" Number your items from one to ten, number one being the most important and so on. I also like to cross things off the list once they are completed. This gives me a tiny sense of accomplishment! (AKA SUCCESS!)
#3-Assign an amount of time to each task on the list, whether that is to complete the task, or just getting a little further on a larger project. Small blocks of time each day will break a big job into smaller bites. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
#4-Inform your partner or significant other that you are planning a new approach to time management, and ask for their patience and cooperation when you first get started.
Interruptions during this period of creating a new habit is the last thing you need. Tell them they will like the person you are becoming, better, more accomplished, and less chaotic!
#5-Redirect-Learn to stop yourself when you stray and ask yourself "Is this productive behavior?" Yes, I talk to myself all the time, and guess what it helps. Guess what else? Lots of people talk to themselves, so what? If it keeps you from wasting time on non productive behavior, it's worth it, let them talk.
#6-Don't Procrastinate- OK, anyone who knows me, knows me as the 'Queen of Procrastination', I could have a million and one excuses why it will wait until tomorrow.
Don't do this to yourself. It's your life, don't waste it with meaningless excuses (and activities) it will only make you feel guilty.
#7-Organize! Your work-space is your personal creative space. If it looks like a tornado hit it or it's so cluttered you can't find where you left off yesterday, then you need to take some time to clean your space.
It will save valuable time that you waste 'looking for something' often getting sidetracked and forgetting what the project was you're working on. File it, throw it away, or just don't print it!
#8-Interuptions- Phone, email, Facebook, Twitter; the other day I went to get a glass of water and found myself mopping the kitchen floor. Yes, it needed it, but was that an interruption, a distraction YES! Don't fall for that.
If it has to be done put it on another list.
#9-Delegate-If you can delegate an activity that you are doing, that is, it doesn't require your expertise, do it. Lets go back to me taking time to mop the kitchen floor. I love doing activities that distract me, and take my mind away from my work. That's the whole point! Would a large corporation have their CEO mopping or cleaning toilets? No, his value is in the specific skills that got him to the title of CEO! Ask yourself if someone else can do this, and am I comfortable letting them?
#10-Save time for yourself,and your family-because this after all, isn't that what it's all about? Ultimately, living a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life?
YES!
Since I wrote this article I have made many wonderful and
productive changes to my life. I started my own Hypnotherapy practice
and learned that I could do amazing things to help people from all walks
of life.
Creating new habits do not happen overnight, and sometimes we need a little more guidance to make those big changes.
As a Certified Hypnotherapist I facilitate positive changes in the lives of my clients. Organizational skills come with practice, patience and perseverance.
To learn more about hypnosis and how it can help you make positive changes in your life visit me at http://www.LeslieCarmodyCHt.com
Article Source:
http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Leslie_E_Carmody/1403244
Creating new habits do not happen overnight, and sometimes we need a little more guidance to make those big changes.
As a Certified Hypnotherapist I facilitate positive changes in the lives of my clients. Organizational skills come with practice, patience and perseverance.
To learn more about hypnosis and how it can help you make positive changes in your life visit me at http://www.LeslieCarmodyCHt.com
No comments:
Post a Comment